Lessons From The Psalms Pt 4 – Bruce Claridge [19/08/2018 AM]
Trust, delight and commit
Ps 37:3-6 (NIV)
3 Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun.
- We have been given amazing promises by God.
- He says to delight yourself in Him.
- Delight means to be diligent in the English language, but the Hebrew meaning is to be soft, to be delicate, take true delight, nothing about ‘having fun’!.
- It can also mean – loitering with intent – hang around with friends with the intent of sharing Jesus with them.
- Bruce was asking God what He meant by ‘delight yourself in the Lord’. God showed him that as he watched people being involved in Bible College, Chaplaincy and Hymns Alive as well as Youth activities they were delighting themselves in the Lord. Enjoying life with others.
- Make a difference. Watching the Youth team setting up for the Youth event United We Stand on Friday night was a joy.
- Expect all happiness from Him.
- What a difference you can make if you delight yourself in the Lord.
- Trust in the Lord and do good.
- Give generously and sacrificially.
- Dwell in this land and enjoy safe pasture.
1. Trust in the Lord and do good vs 3. Be sure of your safety in the Lord. Show your faith by your works.
- You get the desires of your heart when you serve the Lord.
- God’s word is the truth. God spoke the world into being so we can trust Him.
Heb 11:1-6 (NIV)
- Have faith in what God can do.
- He will reward us if we trust in Him.
- Be a dweller not a traveller. Then we can enjoy the things of the Lord. Put your roots down. Do good. Isolation brings stunted growth but we need to produce character.
2. Delight yourself in the Lord. Renew your mind. Be Jesus to those around us.
Luke 10:1-9 (NIV)
- Build relationships. Bring His presence with you wherever you are.
- What you carry is incredible – go into the world and show Jesus’ love to them.
- is the number of Grace
- Bring His Presence by being present
- Serve as a Pastor (care for people).
- Serve as a Priest (stand shoulder to shoulder/pray/don’t get religious or spiritual.
- Serve as a Prophet – be a spokesperson
- Be an Ambassador by re-presenting Jesus.
- Bruce was able to show Jimmy the barman at the footy club on Good Friday the difference between religion and Christianity when he still attended the footy game on Good Friday and he was happy to eat a burger.
- Good fellowship brings laughter and joy – great sense of humour.
- We need to show authentic relationships, be authentic people and expect a great future.
- Do good and enjoy a safe future.
- Put your hand to the field and don’t look back no matter how hard the ground.
- Move forward, push for great friendships.
- Commit your way to the Lord.
- Trust – direct your faith God wards.
- Delight – enjoy God’s best for your life.
- Commit your way to the Lord as you do good and enjoy the safe pasture
The promise from all of this Trusting, Delighting and Committing is found in:
Vs 6: “HE will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the Justice of your cause like the noon day sun”
Vs 7: tells us how to position ourselves to see this come about – “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him”.
- Be still, wait patiently. What you pray for will come about.
- Don’t make things happen – trust God that what you are waiting for will come to pass.
- It is said: “When one door closes, another one opens, but it can be hell in the hallway.”
- It can be Hell in the hallway, but trust in God to bring you through your troubles.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- How do you ‘delight yourself in the Lord’?
- What desires of your heart are you trusting God for?
- How do you show Jesus to others?
- What does it mean to be a dweller not a traveller?