Lunch – Ps Kerrin Wallis [18/11/2018 AM]
How God invites us to lunch, how He sees us, how He wants relationship with us!
Luke 19:1-10 (NLT)
19 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.
5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”
8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”
9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
- Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus but he was too short. It hindered him and got in the way of his need to see Jesus. So he climbed the tree (vs 4).
- Kerrin told us that he had a problem – he was too short for basketball and in Qld he was too small for Rugby.
- People want to see Jesus, but there is something in the way.
- An event, or something in the past – religiosity, rules, God couldn’t love me, my failures, all sorts of things can get in the way of your need to see Jesus.
- The answer – climb a tree.
- Find a way to get around the problem.
- Zacchaeus refused to let his personal problem of height stop him from seeing Jesus.
- Go out on a limb.
- Zacchaeus was a tax collector for the Romans. He did something outside his normal. He climbed a tree.
- Be willing to do something out of the ordinary and look past the events of your past.
- Surrender your lifestyle.
- Don’t add God to a whole bunch of things that hinder you.
- Jesus said follow me.
- If you know someone is real it doesn’t mean that you really know them. Seeing them for real is another thing.
- Charlie is a young man who was baptised this morning. He came out from England to play soccer. He knew about God but came here and SAW
- We tend to see the theological or religiosity view of God, but you have to do more than that. You need to see God as he really is.
- Search the Bible to begin to see God.
- Fast and pray. We need to be excited about Jesus entering our lives.
- Zacchaeus saw the party not the blue and red lights of the police car coming behind us to stop us.
- We need to look towards a life of purpose and excitement.
- Zacchaeus said that he would give the people back the money that he had taken, he gave back them 4 times more.
- The goodness of God led Zacchaeus to encounter God.
- He had a religious idea of God, but actually had an encounter with God and it changed his life.
- Find the real God, He will set you free
- Zacchaeus was willing to let go of his life.
- What God gives is far greater.
- Zacchaeus volunteered to change.
- When you meet God you can’t help but surrender your life to Him.
- Long to see Him and then meet with Him.
- God wants to set you free from the things that hold you back.
- Zacchaeus found life, but he had to overcome the obstacles of trying to find God.
- We need to show people they are loved and accepted.
- It will lead to a wonderful encounter with God.
- See God – prayer and fasting can show the way out of the problem.
- Get around His people.
- Zacchaeus wanted to see God. He went out of his way to see God.
- God will meet you where you are at.
What does Luke 19 show us?
- Jesus stops under the tree. God will stop to meet you where you are at
- Jesus had to go through Samaria to meet the woman at the well so that she could be saved.
- Jesus looked up to engage Zacchaeus.
- He wants to have a relationship with us.
- He sees our hunger and raises it.
- He saw Zacchaeus.
- He invited himself to lunch.
- We think God doesn’t look at us, that He sees what we haven’t done. We think that God sees how good we aren’t, our failures and others opinions of us. We are wrong!
- God invites himself for lunch. The love of God wants to meet us. Let’s hang out together. He sees you today.
- Keep a soft heart and see God. Work to be seeing God.
- He wants lunch with us. He wants our conversations, to know us and to be known by us. He wants a relationship with us.
- Zacchaeus climbed down from the tree quickly. He wanted to see Jesus. He was not religious, judgmental or cynical.
- Jesus was someone who Zacchaeus was excited to hang about with.
- He sees the man.
- Tax collectors worked for the Romans and took more money from the people.
- We see what other people think of us.
- God wants to know you. He sees a person who needs help, a son or daughter.
- God sees us.
- Just leave all the other stuff out.
- Just see God.
- Study the word of God.
- Let’s have him for lunch.
- He will transform your life.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- Discuss what gets in your way to see Jesus.
- What can you do out of the ordinary to meet Jesus?
- Discuss how you think God sees you.
- Are you excited to be with Jesus?