God’s Rescue Mission – Ps Kerrin Wallis [09/12/2018 AM]
In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.
4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
- The story of Christmas tells us much about the people involved.
- Their character, nature, faults, traits, etc.
- Christmas story tells us what God is like.
- An event in the making for 4000 years yet dependant on very specific historical events occurring as the lead up to the plan.
- What does this plan tell us about God?
1. When God plans it will always be BIG!
- This Christmas plan changed eternity and History as we know it.
- When God plans for you it is a big plan.
- Is 55:9…
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
- God thinks next level for your life.
- Look at the vastness of the heavens and realise God has much more for you.
- This Christmas “ look up”, not down.
2. Gods plans are always too big for you to do alone.. they always involve others
- Mary, Joseph, Angels, Caesar,…. on the cross even the 2 criminals were involved, etc.
- Gods plan always has a purpose and a focus on others.
- Gods plan involves us dying to self and focusing on others.
- So many of the world’s problems are because of our focus on self.
- Gods plan is Christ first then others.
- God introduced community in creation
- “Let us….. make man in our own image”
- Christmas is about being generous to others.
- The joy of life is only discovered when we find the joy of living for Christ and others.
3. God’s plan requires generosity
- Let Christmas be an expression of our generosity… not a time of withholding.
- God reaches to freely give.
- To cheerfully give.
- Give without an agenda.
- Give to bless unreservedly.
4. Gods plan always involves FAITH
- Let’s consider the plan of Christmas , it had a lot of variables… dictators like Herod, inexperienced parents, wise men tracking a star, etc
- This plan needed faith at a high level.
- Don’t lack faith to believe God for your plan
- Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- We require faith to believe Gods promises, faith to sow in a time of famine, faith to continue through the storm.
- Gods plan for your life requires faith but it is a big plan and a great plan.
- Trust Him today.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- What does the Christmas Story tell you?
- What happens when we focus on ourselves?
- Discuss the joy of life.
- Have you got the faith to believe God for your plan?