God Is Crazy – Ps Kerrin Wallis [23/12/2018 AM]
The truth is stranger than fiction
John 3:16 (NLT)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Kerrin told the story of when he and his brothers went fishing for Barramundi off the coast of Queensland, they had a wager for the first one to catch a fish, set a magic number of 83cm long, and one would catch a fish within 10 casts. This was seemingly impossible, but all three criteria were covered by one of his brothers. Life is stranger than fiction!!
- Christmas is the eternal plan of God. The story is crazy – a virgin giving birth, a father who is from the lineage of David, shepherds following a strange light, three wise men bringing gifts, a baby born in a stable. All this seems proof that God is crazy. The reality is that He is crazy in love with YOU! It is an unfathomable love.
- Christmas is depicted in the movies set in New York, covered in snow, with family expressing unrealistic expectations.
- But none of this can compare to God’s love for you.
1. God is crazy in love with you
- It’s a Crazy Love – Eve met a talking snake. Adam spoilt the world’s Christmas. The world spiralled into a huge mess.
Genesis 6:6 (NLT)
6 So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart.
- God was crazy angry with man so He caused a flood.
- Man would rather disobey God than live in the blessings that come by following God’s ways.
- The world was polluted and twisted BUT God so loved the world that He gave His only Son.
Rom 8:31-39 (NKJV)
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- This expresses God’s love for us.
- If there were no gifts, food, no holidays, carols, light or festivities there would still be a reason to celebrate because God loves us. Celebrate this. He loves you!
- The message of Christmas proves that He was willing to suffer pain for us.
- He is crazy in love with you. Celebrate this.
2. God is crazy about forgiveness
- He is 100% committed to forgiveness.
- Jesus’ friends betrayed Him, but God used it to forgive us in the midst of His pain.
- Jesus forgave the man on the Cross. There was no advantage for Jesus to forgive him. There was nothing the man could do because he was dying, but he asked Jesus for forgiveness.
- God is crazy about forgiveness.
Matthew 6:14-15 (NLT)
And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one.
14 “If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
- Peter couldn’t understand forgiveness. He asked Jesus how many times he had to forgive.
- He obviously thought about it for a long time, because it was 12 chapters later that Peter asked for clarification.
Matthew 18:22 (NLT)
22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!
- Peter was given an unwavering command to forgive.
- Jesus doesn’t say forget, He says forgive.
- Forgiveness leads to blessings.
- Our powerful gift is to ask and seek forgiveness. This is much better than presents.
- God wants us to set ourselves free with forgiveness.
3. God is crazy about Second Chances
- Kerrin told the story of backyard cricket at Christmas time.
- It was fun in the backyard until someone broke a window or hit a car!
- Someone has a bad day BUT they are given a second chance.
- Is God confused about this? He gives second, third and fourth chances.
- All of these people were given another chance:
- Abraham lied.
- Jacob was a deceiver and a supplanter.
- Moses was a killer and he ran away.
- Aaron built the golden calf.
- David made so many mistakes.
- Jonah deliberately disobeyed God.
- Peter betrayed God.
- Judas betrayed Jesus.Paul was a killer of Christians.
- But God is a God of second chances.
- This Christmas don’t make mistakes.
- We need to give others a second chance.
- God is crazy about second chances.
- Be thankful and worship Him
- Worship God with a thankful heart this Christmas.
- The coming of Jesus demonstrated God’s second chances.
- Christmas should be a mighty celebration of the life God has given you.
God is crazy about Love, Forgiveness and Second Chances.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- Do you think that Christmas is the crazy eternal plan of God?
- How does it change your life knowing that God is crazy in love with you?
- How easy is it to forgive someone?
- Discuss the reason to give second chances.