Great People With Great Power – Ps Kerrin Wallis [27/01/2019 AM]
Joshua 17:14-18 (NKJV)
14 Then the children of Joseph spoke to Joshua, saying, “Why have you given us only one lot and one share to inherit, since we are a great people, inasmuch as the Lord has blessed us until now?”
15 So Joshua answered them, “If you are a great people, then go up to the forest country and clear a place for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and the giants, since the mountains of Ephraim are too confined for you.”
16 But the children of Joseph said, “The mountain country is not enough for us; and all the Canaanites who dwell in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, both those who are of Beth Shean and its towns and those who are of the Valley of Jezreel.”
17 And Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph—to Ephraim and Manasseh—saying, “You are a great people and have great power; you shall not have only one lot, 18 but the mountain country shall be yours. Although it is wooded, you shall cut it down, and its farthest extent shall be yours; for you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots and are strong.”
- Stir people’s hearts – begin to have conviction that nothing can stop you.
- Call out for Bendigo.
- Believe God for more than you ever have before.
- Misunderstand the Power and you misunderstand the Great.
- Know your manner and how you come across to people.
- We can get confused and think WE are great and WE have the power.
- We think our efforts will impress God.
- Reconsider what God is looking at in you.
- Joshua’s people were God’s people.
Joshua 2:8-11 (NIV)
8 Before the spies lay down for the night, she went up on the roof 9 and said to them, “I know that the Lord has given you this land and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you. 10 We have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. 11 When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.
- The inhabitants of Canaan were in fear. They feared the God that the Israelites represented.
- Never misunderstand what God has done for you.
- Our greatness comes from God. It is His Greatness that gives us the Power.
- Don’t confuse your greatness and righteousness with what God has given you. It is from His power.
1 Peter 1:24 (NIV)
For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall,
James 1:11 (NLT)
11 The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements.
Isaiah 64:6 (NIV)
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
- In Joshua 6 the Israelites capture Jericho. They follow God’s way and He helps them.
- In Joshua 7 the Israelites were defeated by the small town of Ai. There was sin in their group. They came back defeated. Sin led to their destruction.
- Paul understood the Power of God and the Power of the Cross.
Galatians 6:14 (NLT)
14 As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died.
Philippians 3:3 (NIV)
3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh.
- Without Jesus dying for us, we have nothing. It is His Power and Strength.
- We have to put our trust in Him and we can be complete.
- Don’t let the world intimidate you.
- It is because we have access to God’s Power and not our own.
- There is Power in prayer and fasting. It is not us and our strength.
- It comes from God. Submit to Him and His Power.
- Never be confused with our own power.
Joshua 17:17 (NKJV)
17 And Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph—to Ephraim and Manasseh—saying, “You are a great people and have great power; you shall not have only one lot
- They were God’s people.
- The power of God comes from the connection to His peoples.
- Consider the ants. By themselves they are vulnerable, but when there is a colony they can kill a snake.
Acts 2:43-47 (NKJV)
43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
- The power of God was evident. They were a great people. The togetherness led to the people being saved.
- When people come to God, He will hear them.
1 Kings 18:19 (NLT)
19 Now summon all Israel to join me at Mount Carmel, along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah who are supported by Jezebel.”
- Elijah feared Jezebel and hid in a cave.
- God found him and asked “What are you doing?”
1 Kings 19:13-18 (NLT)
13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
14 He replied again, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.”
15 Then the Lord told him, “Go back the same way you came, and travel to the wilderness of Damascus. When you arrive there, anoint Hazael to be king of Aram. 16 Then anoint Jehu grandson of Nimshi to be king of Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from the town of Abel-meholah to replace you as my prophet. 17 Anyone who escapes from Hazael will be killed by Jehu, and those who escape Jehu will be killed by Elisha! 18 Yet I will preserve 7,000 others in Israel who have never bowed down to Baal or kissed him!”
- Elijah was burnt out and ineffective.
- God told him to get up and go and serve. He told him that he was not on his own.
- He had God’s favour but he had taken himself away from the people.
Proverbs 18:1 (NKJV)
A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire;
He rages against all wise judgment.
- Elijah isolated himself and was burnt out.
- God’s power is for His people.
- The word Love is found in 218 verses in the Bible and is mentioned 311 times.
- There are 1922 verses containing reference to People and is mentioned 2143 times.
- God gives His power to His people
- You are a great people and you have great power.
- We serve the One True God in Heaven.
- He rules eternity and it is His Power that is behind it.
- He always gives His Power to His People.
- Life should be filled with His Power.
- Raising churches filled with God’s people is what God wants.
- When we understand where His power comes from, we will walk in the Power of God with confidence.
- Put God first. Seek Him and who He is.
- Prayer and fasting are the two keys to the Power of God.
- Our nation needs the Power of God.
- Join together in prayer and fasting to see God’s Power to touch Bendigo.
- We can do something magnificent for God when we live in His Power.
- Live in the zone of the Power of God.
- God needs to be King in your life. Live for Him.
Suggestions for discussion
- Discuss the statement ‘Misunderstand the Power and you misunderstand the Great’.
- Can you believe God for more than you ever have before?
- Have you experienced the power of prayer and fasting?
- Were you surprised to know how many times ‘People’ is mentioned in the Bible?