Great People With Great Power Pt 2 – Ps Kerrin Wallis [03/02/2019 AM]
Joshua 17:17-18 (NKJV)
17 And Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph—to Ephraim and Manasseh—saying, “You are a great people and have great power; you shall not have only one lot, 18 but the mountain country shall be yours. Although it is wooded, you shall cut it down, and its farthest extent shall be yours; for you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots and are strong.”
- We have access to enough power to change the world.
- Nothing can stop you when Jesus is on your side.
- We need to represent Jesus in our workplace, city and family.
- We are God’s people. It is His power that we have.
- He gives us power for His Kingdom and His Glory.
- How do we see great power in our lives?
- Why don’t we feel powerful? We are more than a conqueror.
- Understand the scriptures for the power of God.
Matthew 4:1-2 (NKJV)
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.
- In the wilderness we have access to the power of God.
- Jesus encountered the devil in the wilderness.
Luke 4:14 (NKJV)
14 Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region.
- Jesus is our ultimate example – He is the lead and guide for all Christians.
- Before Jesus preached, He had to experience the wilderness to fulfil God’s purpose for His life.
- He returned from the wilderness in the Power of the Spirit.
- You are to be His light and life wherever you go.
- Believe that God put you where you are and be a blessing where you are.
- Jesus knew God in all his being and He knew He had God’s blessing on Him.
- But He needed the Power of the Spirit which he received after he had been in the wilderness and spent the time in prayer and fasting.
- You need the Power of God on your life to know the anointing of God on your life.
- Prayer and fasting unleashed the Power of God in Jesus’ life.
Mark 9:14-18 (NKJV)
14 And when He came to the disciples, He saw a great multitude around them, and scribes disputing with them. 15 Immediately, when they saw Him, all the people were greatly amazed, and running to Him, greeted Him. 16 And He asked the scribes, “What are you discussing with them?”
17 Then one of the crowd answered and said, “Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit. 18 And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.”
- The disciples had all the theory but had no power of the Spirit.
Mark 9:25-29 (NKJV)
25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!” 26 Then the spirit cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him. And he became as one dead, so that many said, “He is dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.
28 And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”
29 So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”
- The disciples had experienced a contemporary discipleship class but had powerless ideas and obscure opinions.
- Jesus had a lifestyle of prayer and fasting to carry the power to cast out demons.
- Jesus does it with Power.
- We can all have the power. The key to unlocking the Power is through prayer and fasting.
Matthew 6:16-18 (NKJV)
16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
- A lifestyle of prayer and fasting is a biblical principle of unlocking the power of the Spirit.
- The power will be seen in the world if we spend time with God in private.
- Don’t fast externally for the world to see, fast in your secret place.
- God gets more of us through prayer and fasting when we have less focus on outward things.
Ephesians 3:20 (NKJV)
20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
- We need to believe God, obeying Him is the variable in the equation.
- Let God’s Spirit change you and help you know God more.
- Kingdom of Heaven has more ground to take. Make a difference for eternity. Reach a sinful world.
Genesis 3:1-7 (NKJV)
3 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?”
2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ”
4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.
- Human nature constantly longs to experience the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life (power and self rule).
- We were created to be led by His Spirit.
1 John 2:16 (NKJV)
16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.
- God initially created man to live in the Spirit – Soul – Body (Human Nature)
- Eating in the natural caused disaster for Eve.
- Our life was turned around when Eve ate the fruit of the tree of the4 knowledge of Good and Evil.
- Then we lived the wrong way – Body – Soul – Spirit.
- Our Spirit gets starved when we don’t gather together with the body at Church for a week.
- When you fast, your body is denied of being in charge.
- When you align with what God intended for you, then His spirit will be in charge in you.
- When the Spirit of God is in charge, God has more of you.
- His Spirit will put things the right way round.
- We have got to get back to understanding that we can make a difference.
- See people set free from addiction.
- We have access to the Power of God.
- We need His power to help our mission.
- Prayer and Fasting for our families, marriages, kids.
- We will see our Dreams and purposes in God come into being.
- We will reach our Church, City, Nation.
- Pray and ask God what you can do.
- Sow into the Spirit what you want to reap in the natural.
- Prayer and Fasting for your own life.
- Attend Prayer mornings.
- Attend Prayer and Praise night.
- Pray over the cards that were distributed at Church and God’s people will pray with you at the prayer mornings.
- Let’s see God do something special for us all.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- How do we see great power in our lives?
- Discuss how our wilderness experience will help to fulfil God’s purpose for our lives.
- Discuss the statement ‘when the Spirit of God is in charge, God has more of you’.