Getting Back Your Edge – Ps Bruce Claridge [10/02/2019 AM]
- In Jentezen Franklin’s book The Fasting Edge, there is a story about two American lumberjacks. One was a younger man and the other was older and wiser. The two of them took part in a competition to see who could cut down the most trees. The younger man set about cutting trees as fast as he could. He noticed the older man took a lot of breaks so he believed that he had the competition won. At the end of the set time, the younger man was surprised to find out that the older one had cut down far more trees. The older men told the younger one that he had taken the breaks to sharpen the edge of his axe and so could cut through the trees much quicker.
- You need to take the time to sharpen your edge of the axe (time with God) so you can be more efficient.
- Don’t lose your passion. Don’t rely on your own strength. Take time to sit aside with God.
- Growth and maturity lets you sharpen your edge.
- People are hungry for God – get your fresh hunger back. Spend time with God.
- Get excited about the fruit that will come when you get back your edge.
- The time we spend with God will make a significant difference to our effectiveness. Our weapons are mighty in God. Demolish strongholds.
Matthew 11:12 (NKJV)
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
- Take your thoughts captive.
- Take a stand against the devil and pray without ceasing.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NKJV)
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
Ephesians 6:10 (NKJV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- Put on your full armour. Go to battle for your families, friends and this city. You can’t do battle with dull edges. Don’t lose your edge. Sharpen your edge by spending time with God.
- Don’t lose your passion and hunger. Cry out for God to come through.
- Outward appearances might look okay, but inwardly you need to change.
- Hunger for intimacy with God.
- Christian life is not a cruise ship – it is a battleship.
- Destroy the enemy’s plans. The Church is part of God’s whole plan to restore His people. Break the power of the enemy.
- Be hungry for God. Hunger for God will bring about changes.
- God will move because of our hunger for Him. Spiritual hunger for God leads to a fast to reach God’s heart. Things will change in the Heavenlies and your family.
- Step out of your comfort zone.
Matthew 16:18 (NKJV)
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
John 10:10 (NKJV)
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
- Fasting, Prayer and the Power of the Holy Spirit will work together to pull down the strongholds.
- The next two weeks of prayer and fasting will bring about change.
- Take the time to sharpen your edge. Things will change. Let the Holy Spirit move in you and don’t rely on our own resources.
- Don’t make a big deal of fasting – do it in secret. God will reward you.
- Hunger for more of God. It will lead you to scriptures that will make you feel uncomfortable. Gift of the Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues.
Acts 2:38-39 (NKJV)
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
Acts 10:44 (NIV)
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
- The Holy Spirit poured out on all, even the Gentiles.
- It was the beginning of the Pentecostal journey.
- The next two weeks are a part of the preparation for the next amazing 30 years in God.
John 20:19 (NKJV)
19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
- Jesus appears to the disciples. He breathed on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
Luke 24:45-50 (NKJV)
45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things. 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”
50 And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them.
Acts 2:1-5 (NKJV)
2 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- The church was birthed in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The greatest move of the power of God will come through people empowered with the Holy Spirit.
- We need internal change first, but then a functional thing happens when you receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- We will see amazing victories in the battles.
- Pray for the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- Salvation first and then the power of the Holy Spirit.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- Discuss what it means to sharpen your edge.
- How does fasting create hunger for more of God?
- Discuss how the Church was birthed in the power of the Holy Spirit?