From Father To Son – Ps Kerrin Wallis [16/06/2019 AM]
1 Timothy 1:1-2 (NIV)
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Saviour and of Christ Jesus our hope,
2 To Timothy my true son in the faith:
- Timothy was a young man of faith living in Ephesus. This was a city of Greek sexuality and Roman influence. The people had religious ideas.
- Timothy was sent by Paul to establish a Church there.
- In our world now we are a little bit like Ephesus.
- Timothy was a true son in the faith. He had a great father figure in Paul.
- He was a great example in his life.
- Kerrin is so grateful to his Dad for showing his boys what being a Christian was all about. He was a wonderful example to them.
- Kerrin’s Dad went fishing for a feed, but the boys loved the sport of catching Bass and then setting them free, whereas Dad brought them home for food.
- Kerrin always wanted a four wheel drive and pestered his Dad to find one for him. Kerrin’s Dad didn’t think it was the right car for Kerrin, but Kerrin loved them and has always had them.
- Being a father/mother and parenting a child is not easy, but so important to raise the next generation in the right way.
1. We live in an absent father generation
- Not just in the natural but in the spiritual
- People have been deceived into thinking that your faith is private so, as a consequence, we don’t share it.
- You need to share it whenever you can.
- People are reserved about being bold. We need to be bold in sharing our faith.
2. It is a wrong perception that Priests were the ones who did the ministry
- People consider it is the job of the priests/pastors is to turn the world to Jesus. This is not so, we all need to equip our generation to go into their world.
- Take Jesus into your world where only you can go.
- This generation needs wisdom, encouragement and leadership from Godly people.
1 Corinthians 4:15 (NKJV)
15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers;
- There are plenty of instructors but only one father. We need spiritual fathers and mothers. Not lecturing about faith.
- We were called to make disciples not to be instructors.
- We need to be parenting people in their faith, investing in them.
- Put the family first – fathers and mothers.
- Parenting needs to take place.
- Abraham was called the Father of the Faith.
Luke 2:52 (NKJV)
52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and men.
- Jesus grew in wisdom in his father’s house.
- He taught us to pray to our Father who is in Heaven – not our program.
- God is our pattern and example. He set a wonderful pattern of parenting.
- The Israelites passed things down to their family.
- The saying “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” is echoed in our family likeness.
- Kerrin told of Boston, when he was young, hitting Max the dog. Kerrin couldn’t understand why he did it until he realised that Boston was just copying what Kerrin did when he roughed the dog with love.
- Winston has been making lots of noise when he gets up and Kerrin told him that it was a terrible noise. Kerrin was singing AC/DC and Winston said “Daddy’s that’s a terrible noise”. Children are great imitators of your actions.
Acts 7:51 (NKJV)
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.
- This is a negative example of what the Jews were doing, but they just did what their fathers did.
- Turn it around and make it a positive and teach your children to do as you do.
- This passage in Acts was written to the Jews 1000’s of years later. They had built up resistance instead of passion.
- We need to pass on the wonderful blessing that God is.
- Pass on the things of God with good examples of how to do life.
- Show blessing and favour (not resistance) and leave an inheritance of teaching and wisdom of God.
- In the Bible God is a God of love is mentioned 736 times.
- Father and Mothers are mentioned 1981 times. God puts great importance on Fathers and Mothers.
Hebrews 5:11-14 (NIV)
Warning Against Falling Away
11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
- When you are an infant you need parents to teach you how to grow into responsible adults.
- It is a challenge to for parents to nurture, stretch, grow, learn and teach their children.
- Don’t stay immature and be incapable of teaching.
- God is not interested in how long you have been in Church, or how anointed you feel.
- His is more interested in how many people (fruit) you have grown into the faith.
- He is more concerned with how you train yourselves.
- We need to be as Paul has said “by constant use you have trained yourself how to distinguish between good and evil”.
- If we don’t grow and mature ourselves, we cannot expect to be able to teach others.
Psalms 71:19 (NIV)
Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things. Who is like you, God?
- We need people filled with the Holy Ghost so they can go out into the world.
- The Pastors are here to help you to grow so that you will reach out to others.
- We need to follow the pattern of the Great Commission – the Family of God.
- Lead others into the same journey.
- Teaching people the Connect Church values – Helping people find life and live it. Do life with them – parent them.
- Connect leaders are helping people grow on their journey.
- Teach others to have faith to live a Godly life. Teach faith and blessing to the next generation.
- Become wonderful Fathers and Mothers. The world is looking for good Fathers and Mothers.
- Being a father/mother and parenting a child is not easy Who are we being a father or mother to?
- Are you showing God’s promises and concern? Care to lead and to guide.
- Being a parent you quickly learn to do things you never thought you would do.
- When Boston was a baby, Kerrin and Teagan were on a plane and Boston began to vomit. Kerrin caught the vomit in his jacket. He cleaned Boston up and changed his clothes, but then Kerrin spent the rest of the journey in his vomit covered clothing.
- Kerrin wouldn’t have done that at 15.
- When you parent someone it is different.
- Move your heart to parent others.
- Make God’s name great for the next generation.
- With Godly parenting, it makes you proud of your children when you see how they are growing in their faith and love of Jesus.
- We can learn and grow in the grace of God.
- Make sure you know God as your Heavenly Father.
- There must be gentleness and strength.
- Are we parenting someone?
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- Do you have someone who was a great Godly example in your life?
- Being a father/mother and parenting a child is not easy. Why is it hard for us?
- If we don’t grow and mature ourselves, we cannot expect to be able to teach others. What is the best way to do this?