- Pastor James and his family went to Movie World on the Gold Coast. James and his son went on the Hyper Rollercoaster which had a 61.5 metre drop. His son was very excited, but James was very fearful. At the end of the ride, James had overcome his fear, his son was thrilled and they wanted to go straight back again.
- We all go through life peaking and freaking as James describes it – in relationships, weddings and births.
- When James and Paula moved from Calgary Church in Yeppoon and began to Pastor the North Lakes church in Moreton Bay, changes needed to happen.
- Change is inevitable, but we don’t like.
- The congregation had a new Pastor who proposed a change to the name of Breathe Church in North Lakes (which he said should have been Gasp Church) to Church Unlimited and they changed the service from the morning to 4pm.
- Pastor James was asked by some members if he was sure that God wanted this change. When James said he was 80% sure, the members said it should be 100%.
- James said that you don’t know until you have a go.
- God allows His promises to be outworked in steps of faith. God said!!
- Hearing God’s word can sometimes be just a sense or impression.
- Sometimes we can still feel just 20% of uncertainty.
- When you feel that God speaking to you 100% of the time, you can also feel that you don’t need God around. You can do it on your own.
Psalm 37:23 (NKJV)
The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way.
- Steps come before orders. Take steps and then get orders.
- People of faith tend to feel like this.
- As we take our steps then God gives us our orders.
- It was Peter’s idea to walk on water. He used proactive faith as opposed to reactive faith.
- We can sometimes feel that we will move when God says. We can sit put waiting for instructions. This is not how God wants us to live.
- Take steps of faith even when we are only 80% sure.
- Proactive faith helps you see the work of God.
- Fear and faith go hand in hand.
- Pastor James and his Church had a Miracle offering. He and Paula pledged more than they ever have before. They were peaking and freaking.
- Don’t mask fear with ideas that prohibit our walk with God.
- Not fearful, but cautious and concerned.
- Never step out to do what God has asked you to do until you have spoken with people who will encourage you.
- Don’t do things that don’t require a step of faith.
- Advance and take territory in faith.
- James 40% sure – Paula 30% sure – together 70% sure
- God fills the gap to meet you.
- God puts things in your spirit so that you will step out in faith.
- Consult with people of faith. Take proactive steps of faith.
- Hindsight will show you God’s move in your life.
- Fear is not the absence of faith.
- God has given you life overflowing.
- Esther stepped out in faith knowing she could have been killed.
- Moses was terrified of Pharaoh but he approached him anyway
- Elijah runs away into the desert.
2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- Role play scenarios in your mind. You can over think things so much that you never step into the Promised Land.
- Analysis Paralysis is what James called our fear.
- Moses was told to go into the Promised Land. 10 spies came back full of fear from what they saw, but Joshua and Caleb were excited to go with God’s covering. They said God is with us, let’s do it.
- The unbelievers spent 40 years in the wilderness – the old and faithless people died in the wilderness.
- Old is not an age, old is a spirit. We need to have a Youthful spirit.
- Joshua and Caleb were ready to go to the Promised Land.
Joshua 1:5-9 and vs. 18 (NKJV)
5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
18 Whoever rebels against your command and does not heed your words, in all that you command him, shall be put to death. Only be strong and of good courage.”
- Four times God said be strong and of good courage. God needed to stir up Joshua to step out in faith.
- You won’t see the miracles until you have a go.
- Wherever you go, you take God with you.
- Get some wisdom from wise Christian people before you go.
1. Know that God is with you wherever you go
5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you.
- We were created to walk hand in hand with God.
- Adam was kicked out of the Garden because of independence.
- Fear will grip your heart when you don’t walk with God.
- James’ 3 year old daughter was walking hand in hand with James in a car park. She shook off his hand and ran in front of a large ute. She got a huge fright and ran back crying and wrapped her arms around James.
- We should never let go of God’s hand.
2. Learn how to walk holy. Walk right
7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.
Proverbs 28:1 (NKJV)
The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.
- Miserable backsliders want to do things on their own – do things God’s way and faith will grow.
- Young woman in James’ congregation was in a relationship which was not right.
- Do it God’s way. Walk holy and do things God’s way.
3. Know the Word of God. Meditate on the Word
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- God told Joshua to meditate on the Word.
- Memorise Bible verses. Get them deep down in your heart.
John 8:32 (NKJV)
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
- Know His truth. Meditate on His Word.
4. Remember the promise and never let it leave your heart
13 “Remember the word which Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, saying, ‘The Lord your God is giving you rest and is giving you this land.’
- Church Unlimited has had two miracle babies this year. One couple had been trying for 9 years.
- Stand on the Word. He said to be fruitful and multiply.
- Believe the promises of God. Believe in the Word.
- When Joshua and Caleb went into the Promised Land there were 31 kings they had to defy.
- Believe the promises and prophesies of God.
- There is an 84 year old member of James’ congregation who had 11 different Pastors before James. She knew there would be change at North Lakes because God had told her it would happen. She had faith in God.
- James said that there is a destiny on Connect Church.
- We need to honour Pastor Kerrin and Tegan, step out in faith and have a go.
- Step forward into the move that God has for this Church.
- God is who He says He is.
- James pulled his hand out of God’s hand when he was younger but never lets go of God’s hand now.
- Put your life in God’s hand.
- Where are you and God at right now?
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- Change is inevitable. Discuss why you think that we don’t like it.
- Hearing God’s word can sometimes be just a sense or impression. How do you hear God’s word?
- We all go through life peaking and freaking. Discuss some of your experiences.