A Timeless Classic: Praise – Ps Dave Doolan [29/09/2019 AM]
- Dave was driving through Ringwood when he saw Christmas lights on a house. He was excited because he loves Christmas, but he found out that the people had left them up since last Christmas.
- There is something wrong about Christmas lights in September! It lessens the impact of Christmas.
- Dave loves a good celebration, but it is not quite the same when it is out of season.
- Hot Cross buns outside of Easter loses something.
- Things don’t age well over time. Clearing out the cupboard brings up letting go issues.
- Paisley shirts and skinny ties not quite the same, but some things are not timeless.
- Some things are more relevant in one particular season. Home Alone 2!
- Praise – not just for one season – it is a timeless classic we should always embrace. Pray that God will show us how important praise is to God.
Psalm 110:1-5 (TPT)
Lift up a great shout of joy to the Lord! Go ahead and do it—everyone, everywhere!
2 As you serve him, be glad and worship him. Sing your way into his presence with joy!
3 And realize what this really means—we have the privilege of worshiping the Lord our God.
For he is our Creator and we belong to him. We are the people of his pleasure. 4 You can pass through his open gates with the password of praise. Come right into his presence with thanksgiving. Come bring your thank offering to him and affectionately bless his beautiful name!
5 For the Lord is always good and ready to receive you. He is so loving that it will amaze you—
so kind that it will astound you! And he is famous for his faithfulness toward all. Everyone knows our God can be trusted, for he keeps his promises to every generation!
- When it comes to praise it doesn’t matter where we are, we can know our God is worthy of praise.
- It’s not about us. You always have a reason. Lift up and declare who God is. He is always the same. He is always in a good mood and worthy of our praise. Remind yourself of who God is. We have a God who is with us and for us.
- Praise Him always. Praise is a decision. Dave is not a morning person, but he makes a decision to praise because God is worthy. It’s who He is.
Psalm 34:1-8 (NLT)
I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises. 2 I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. 3 Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness; let us exalt his name together. 4 I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. 6 In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles. 7 For the angel of the Lord is a guard; he surrounds and defends all who fear him. 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!
- Praise at all times – constantly speak His Praise. Praise Him for who God is.
- What you focus on gets larger. When we focus on God He will enlarge things in our world because we focus on Him.
- Our focus can shift when we achieve other things. Trouble is our pride gets large. We think it is because of how good we are. We shift focus and change our perspective.
- When things go wrong, we shift our focus onto our problems, weaknesses and fear. We magnify our problems, fears and doubts. How can I get through this? Our perspective shifts onto ourselves.
- Always make a decision to praise God.
- We focus on what is important – God. Choose to praise because of what God did.
- In good health, sickness and breakthrough, praise Him because He is good. We have the victory. No matter the season, praise God because God is worthy. Choose to praise because He is always the same. Praise is for every season. God doesn’t change.
Timeless reasons to praise:
1. It is a heart attitude going above what is expected
Matthew 5:16 (Message)
Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
- Live generous lives, give of your time and service, praise above and beyond.
- Jesus gave us above and beyond. On the cross He gave all. Live generous lives.
- Focus will be on God.
2. Thankfulness and gratitude
1 Thessalonians 5:16 (Message)
16 Let joy be your continual feast. 17 Make your life a prayer. 18 And in the midst of everything be always giving thanks, for this is God’s perfect plan for you in Christ Jesus.
- Give praise where it belongs, stops greed. Be thankful for what you have. Give thanks in all things because of who God is and what He has already done. He is still worthy of praise.
- Enter His courts with thanksgiving. Make a decision to always have a heart and attitude of praise and thankfulness.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 (Message)
16 Let joy be your continual feast.
- Let joy be your constant.
- Don’t live your lives by – if it feels good do it.
- People pursue happiness – it’s a feeling that doesn’t always last.
- But God promises joy. The world can’t take it away. It can exist in the midst of problems and trials. God says you can still have joy. Joy will follow. Choose joy. Choose what God promises us. Receive joy.
- God wants to highlight the joy of praise.
- Continually choose it. Choose to live your lives in praise.
- Praise is a privilege.
- We can mistake praise like it is a style.
- Styles are not timeless. They come and go depending on the season.
- Song styles will change.
- Make the decision to choose to praise
- We have the privilege of worshipping the Lord our God.
- It’s not about your enjoyment. It’s about how praise brings God pleasure. It is about Him.
- Give Him what He deserves.
- The only things we can do for God is praise.
- Offer up your heart.
- In a time of victory, thank Him for who Ho is.
- Without Him we wouldn’t be here.
- It’s His breath in our lungs.
- We exist for His pleasure and His Glory
- He is God and we are not. He knows best – we don’t.
- God is worthy of praise. He is on the throne.
- He deserves it! Choose to praise Him and give thanks for who He is.
- Thank Him for saving you, for your place in eternity. Thank Him that He loves you.
- Come in a spirit of thankfulness and praise.
- God wants to know you. He wants to come close to you.
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- When it comes to praise it doesn’t matter where we are, we can know our God is worthy of praise. Discuss why you think this is so important.
- How hard is it to make a decision to praise God when you are going through difficult times?
- Do you live generous lives and give of your time and service?
- How difficult is it to make a decision to always have a heart and attitude of praise and thankfulness?