Who We Are – Ps Dave Doolan [03/11/2019 PM]
Christ centred, service and fun
- When we are somewhere else, in another culture, the things that are normal for them are strange to us. In our own culture, we don’t recognise the customs that others aren’t used to because we are so accustomed to them – they are second nature for us eg tipping. Sometimes we don’t realise what culture is until we are the outsider.
- What is our culture?
- We should be intentional about how we live and the things we prioritise because we are called to make a difference.
Numbers 14:24 (NIV)
24 But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.
- There should be something noticeable about the way we act.
- What makes us at Connect Church different?
- We are Christ-centred.
John 14:6 (NIV)
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
- We’re not just about good ideas. We are about following who Jesus is because He is the only way, the only truth and the only life.
- He is the one who set us free.
- The core of who we are stems from who Jesus is and following His example.
1 Corinthians 11:1 (NIV)
1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
- People follow our example as we follow His example.
- Everything we do comes back to Him.
- We are passionate about the Word of God and about people, because Jesus was.
- We believe that faith is public and we want to bring other people on the journey. The best version of us comes out in community. We do it through services, Connect Groups, ministries.
- We are about prayer, because Jesus was.
- A culture of service.
Matthew 20:28 (NIV)
28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- We are about serving people, putting others first because Jesus did.
- We believe we will be more blessed putting others ahead of ourselves. Serving on a team with a heart to serve God’s house.
- Serving in our community.
- It makes a statement because it is the opposite of the world’s thinking.
- It is the opposite of doing whatever it takes to get ahead.
- When we do it people will take notice.
- Be involved in your world.
- Find practical needs and meet them.
- Even in the places people think the church has no place, doors can be opened because we have chosen to serve and follow Jesus example rather than pushing our own agenda.
- It is a lifestyle, not just a Sunday thing.
- A culture of fun, God isn’t boring.
- We make Him boring. We make things so serious.
- The gospel is serious and we should take it seriously.
- But we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously.
- God has come to give us life and life to the full.
I don’t know if this is the one, but do you think it will be okay?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NLT)
16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
- People live high stress lives. We should be joyous and happy and not super intense.
- We choose joy. We choose life. We choose to look on the bright side. We are the people who help lighten people’s mood.
- Life can be tough. We need to have a sense of fun.
- For the joy set before Him, Jesus endured the cross.
- We can do the same. There is more ahead even when times are tough.
- We get to choose to follow God, to serve Him and to have fun.
- We don’t have to. We get to. There is a sense of freedom.
Suggestions for discussion
- Is there something noticeable about the way we act? Discuss how we can make sure there is.
- The core of who we are stems from who Jesus is and following His example. Do you think we are doing this right?
- Are involved in your world? Do you find practical needs and meet them?