A New Song – Ps Kerrin Wallis [29/12/2019 AM]
What song will you be singing in 2020?
Today we find ourselves on the edge of another new year.
Come Tuesday and we are at New Year’s Eve and so I think it’s a good time to think about that.
As we do I would like to put something on your radar, ‘What song will you sing in 2020?’
David in the Psalms, 6 times uses a phrase; “I will sing a new song…”
So many people in life get stuck in the same old song or songs and miss out on the new that God has for them.
We all know people with:
- The same old gripe
- The same old problem
- The same old issue of drama
- The same old complaints
- The same old negativity
I think it’s no coincidence that God in His Word instructs us multiple times to sing a new song because He knows that otherwise we will just sing the old one.
So today I want to look at each of these times in the Psalms it tells us to sing a new song! Come on and join me.
1. A joyful song
Psalm 33:1-3 (NIV)
1 Sing joyfully to the Lord, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise Him.
2 Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
3 Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.
God’s Word says – let us sing a new song and it should be joyful!
- “It’s fitting for the upright to praise Him…”
- In other words, it fits Godly people to have a joyful song
In our song to God, our prayers, words, thoughts, conversations – let it be filled with Joy!
Nehemiah 8:10 (NIV)
“This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
The joy of the Lord is our strength. Make your song joyful.
Don’t allow it to be:
- Life is tough
- Everything is too hard
- What a mistake I made
Sing a joyful song – find things to thank God about and choose to sing it!
2. You choose it
Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV)
1 I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.
I love what David says here – “God put a new song in my mouth….”
Well that is challenging for me because it makes me ask – ‘Who or what am I allowing to put a song in my mouth?’
We allow it – We sing it – We focus on it – We remember it – We talk about it!
So then if we want the right song, we must let God be the one who instructs our song and His instruction is joyful!
If someone doesn’t have a joyful song then it’s a song, it’s just not God’s one.
Now I am not saying we haven’t all sung sad songs or faced issues in 2019, but will we keep that old song in our mouth or allow God to put his new song of joy in our mouths for 2020?
I like the personal challenge of ‘who am I letting put a song in my mouth?’
- Let’s refuse to let last year put a song in our mouth other than joy
- Let’s refuse to let a negative circumstance put a bad song in our mouth
- Let’s refuse to let some hurt put the song in our mouth
- Let’s refuse to let a disappointment put the song in our mouth
- Let’s refuse to let a failure or mistake put a song in our mouth
Again, it’s not denying things happened, it’s simply denying their power to rule us!
Who or what are we allowing to put a song in our mouth? We choose it!
3. It’s for everyone
Psalm 96:1-4 (NIV)
Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.
2 Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.
3 Declare his glory among the nations, his marvellous deeds among all peoples.
4 For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.
It doesn’t say sing a new song:
- Those with a perfect life
- Those who are feeling it
- Those who had a good last year
- The rich, the poor, the middle-class
- The ones who haven’t made a mistake
It is simply God’s wish that everyone sings a new song.
I like it because we always want to excuse ourselves with: “Yes but if you knew what I had done or faced or felt.”
But God anticipates it and says: “all the earth”
Just in case you thought this was just for the positive people – it’s not, it’s for God’s people! It is fitting for the upright to praise him.
Maybe you’re here today and wouldn’t or couldn’t describe yourself as one of God’s people, but God is simply waiting for you to respond to His love!
- He desires more than anything for us to be His people and to come to Him.
- Just like the Prodigal Son we come knowing we don’t deserve God’s love, but God reaches out with love and forgiveness for us.
4. Sing because of God’s marvellous works
Psalm 98:1 (NIV)
1 Sing to the Lord a new song, for He has done marvellous things;
We can sing for any reason, but the Bible says to sing because of God’s marvellous works!
- Not dwell on His confusing works
- Not look at the miracle that hasn’t happened
- Not think about our mistakes
- Focus on what we don’t understand
I have found most people don’t reject the Bible for what they don’t understand, but rather not wanting to live out what they do understand!
Look and find some of God’s marvellous works that He has done and praise Him for it!
Write some down if you have to:
- We woke up this morning – that’s a win!
- We live in a free country – huge
- We will have food for lunch today – some people won’t
- There is gorgeous blue sky – wow praise God
- There is eternity to live for
- God created me and loves me
Decide that the part of 2019 you will bring into 2020 are the marvellous works of God!
- Leave the other parts back in 2019!
5. Sing a new song focused on God
I will sing a new song to you, my God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,
Choose to have an eternal focus and perspective in 2020.
- Let the song of our life and that we carry be one focused on God not self.
The more I do life the more I see the ugliness of self focus. However equally the more I see the joy and freedom of serving others and focusing on God brings!
Sing a song to God. Not just to a god but to MY GOD!
Make it personal to have God in your life.
God does not desire to be a:
- Theory we hold to
- Idea we like
- Magical being we say is ‘out there somewhere’.
The Bible and its theme and message, is that God is looking for a personal engagement with people!
- He created us, knows the hair on our heads
- He has good plans for our lives
- He has never left us or abandoned us
- If you don’t yet know God, I would implore you to choose to get to know Him today!
- If you are a believer, please, in 2020 choose to engage with God personally, with His Word, with Prayer –
- Why not join us for prayer and fasting in February
6. Sing a new song surrounded with God’s People
Psalm 149:1 (NIV)
1 Praise the Lord. Sing to the Lord a new song, His praise in the assembly of his faithful people.
If you want to have the right song in 2020, surround yourself with others that are singing it!
I can’t wait to do our series on the Church, because being active in and connected to God’s people, His Church is essential, not peripheral, to the Christian life according to the Bible.
There will undoubtedly be days that we don’t feel like singing a joyful song and that is exactly the time to be in Church with God’s people.
- It’s never the time to stay away!
- Find yourself with others that can lift you up and help carry the burden
- Get involved in a Connect Group
- Make Friends
- Put effort into planting yourself and plugging in.
Psalm 92:12-15 (NIV)
12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; 13 planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, 15 proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”
There is a corporate blessing that comes when we worship, serve and pray together. God’s command on the new song is to do it in the assembly together!
The key here is that the promises come after being planted in the house of the Lord!
Connect we have an exciting year ahead, let’s hit it singing a new song ready for:
- New Seasons
- New Blessing
- New Anointing
- New Challenges
- New Miracles
- New Presence of God for 2020
A NEW SONG!!!!
Suggestions for Discussion Questions
- What will be your song in 2020?
- Can you find some of God’s marvellous works that He has done and praise Him for it!
- What do you think about the statement – if someone doesn’t have a joyful song then it’s a song, it’s just not God’s one?