Hebrews 11:3 (NKJV)
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
We read here that ‘things which are seen were not made of things which are visible’.
This is talking in light of the creation of the world and how God formed the earth out of nothing. Our God is truly supreme. However, there is a principle here!
Often times this principle is happening all around us just as it began the world, the seen was made of the invisible so we see things made to happen that have come about through something you couldn’t see!
Let me give you some common terms that are similar in idea:
- Overnight success – it becomes visible, but it was what was done invisibly – practice, hard work, years of effort, sacrifice and attitude that led to what is now seen
- Didn’t see that coming – an event or decision has been seen, but behind it were thoughts, plans, ideas, feelings etc that were invisible, but very powerful
The understanding that the scripture gives us, is that there are indeed forces at work in unseen spaces that eventually cause what we see in life!
- With this in mind, we can, in some ways, determine what will be seen, by understanding the unseen forces at work in our world.
I think all of us, if we look at our lives, would see areas, decisions and particular events that were, or are, seen that we wish were different from what they are.
- If we consider what unseen forces are at work in our lives, we can begin to frame the kind of seen things we want in our world and our life!
The first and most important of these unseen forces is:
1. The Spirit of God!
This is the primary meaning and intent of this verse that God, who is sometimes ‘unseen’, produces very seen things in our world and life.
One of my favourite songs that we sing is called Miracle Worker and there is a line in it that says:
- “Even when I can’t see it your working, you never stop, you never stop working!”
God’s invisible Spirit created everything good that we see and know! God in our lives creates every blessing and good thing that we see and know.
James 1:17 9 (NKJV)
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights
Of all the unseen forces, God at work in our situation, has the ability to change everything!
We say things like, ‘All we can do is pray…’ as if it’s a kind of last resort and least powerful option.
But if you have something happening in your world, or not happening in your world, the most powerful weapon we have is prayer!
2 Cor 10:3-4 (NKJV)
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
So much of our what appears in, and we see in our lives, happens in a realm that is unseen. And the biggest key of all those forces is the King of the seen and unseen realm and His power which we access through prayer!
If you want to see:
- A relationship – formed, healed, restored, grow – then pray
- A situation that needs to change – change your prayer
- A door that needs to open – then pray!
We often treat prayer like the last option when it should instead be the first option.
The unseen world is more powerful.
We can pray in:
- Strength, support, blessing
- People relationships, salvation for souls
- Protection, healing
- Transforming power in our lives and others
- Freedom, breakthrough
- You name it – prayer is the greatest unseen power at work in our world!
There are likely many people sitting here today or listening to this who were it not for the unseen prayers of parents or grandparents would not be seeing the hand of God in their lives!
At this point I want to add prophecy in here with prayer, because it goes hand in hand.
By prophecy, I don’t mean some strange person bailing you up in the car park trying to give you a secret word.
But rather God speaking to you about:
- Your future
- Hopes and dreams
- Promises of God
- Answers to prayer
We need to boldly speak those out over our lives in prayer and framing what isn’t yet, with what God has told us will be!
Declaring those things that we don’t yet see, speaking them in faith and believing for God to make them a reality in our world!
Prayer and Prophecy, God’s Spirit at work in the unseen realm, is the primary invisible force that will become seen!
2. Our Thoughts and Desires!
This is one of the least understood powers at work in our world!
- Yes, it is unseen, but have no doubt that it certainly becomes the seen.
Proverbs puts it like this:
Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV)
6 Do not eat the bread of a miser, nor desire his delicacies; 7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you.
To put this simply, the things we think on, dwell on and allow to constantly fill our mind, will become our reality!
Romans 12:1-2 (NKJV)
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
This couldn’t be clearer! If we want transformation in our lives, we must renew the invisible world of our thoughts.
We can see this clearly with people:
- Highly successful people with every reason to be confident, but racked with insecurity and thought and conviction issues
- People who have every opportunity to grow and move forward, yet cannot break free of some vice in their life
- People who go around in circles despite having all the teaching and instruction available, yet their own mind holds them captive
But again, we can also see this in the positive!
People who have every reason to be insecure, broken, fail – yet they allow God to transform their invisible world of thoughts and they:
- Get strong
- Do what others thought they couldn’t
- Become something no-one would have imagined
The unseen world will always overcome the seen world.
The revolutionary part of what Jesus spoke about in the sermon on the mount (His most famous sermon) was the part that reveals thoughts as so important they could bring judgement.
David had every reason to fail, but God showed him the unseen and transformed him.
Matthew 5:21-22 (NKJV)
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.
Matthew 5:27-28 (NKJV)
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
So, what we are seeing is that Jesus is saying don’t let anger and adultery start in your heart because it will go to your thoughts and then manifest itself and become reality! If we dwell in the unseen, it will become a reality.
The invisible part of our heart, thoughts and desires are an invisible force that will eventually become a reality in our world!
If we want to change our world, one of the starting points is to change our thoughts and desires.
But this is not Anthony Robins’ ‘Think Big and Grow Rich’ or some power of positive thinking message.
This is an understanding that we need the Word of God to be going into our hearts and minds so that our internal thoughts and desires can be shaped and transformed by God and in turn that will become our reality!
God’s Word mixed with God’s Spirit will bring life transforming power! He can bring order to the unseen part of our world.
3. Our Words!
You may not see words as they come out of our mouths, but we most certainly can see the effects of them all around us.
The words created something that was very soon a reality!
Proverbs 18:21 (NKJV)
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Our words are powerful, creative forces that though invisible are soooo real!
The old saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”.
- In one way its true – some jerk who wants to yell at us or give us their opinion we don’t care for – yep who cares
But do not be fooled about the words we:
- Speak to our wife or husband
- Are our words life giving, encouraging, building up, seeing the best in others?
- Or tearing down, criticising, creating division
- Say about or to our kids
- Are our words creating confidence, champions, security or breeding insecurity, fear or limits?
- That negativity we are lazy about letting out, or the faith – it’s up to you
- Gossip about others or the good about others – we choose
These things you can be guaranteed to be seen! We can’t hide them.
4. Our Associations!
I would put to everyone watching this, that your associations are often an invisible force that is shaping your world and future.
While I am not suggesting our friends are invisible, what I do mean is often people fail to see that they are being influenced by their friends:
- Values or lack of them
- Spiritual apathy or hunger for God
- Negative attitude or good attitude
- Negativity and hurt or their faith and maturity
- Their little spirit and thinking or big spirit and thinking
This is why the scriptures say:
Proverbs 12:26 (NKJV)
The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray.
God speaks this way because we will become like those we associate with!
Let me put it this way, if we do not go out of our way to build good, godly relationships with people who will direct us to God, then we had better know that those ungodly people we associate with by osmosis are (by rule and law of God and nature) shaping our:
- Perspective on life and marriage
- Spiritual hunger
- Purity or lack thereof
I can’t see that! I don’t believe that!
- This is not really up for discussion – it is a Biblical reality hence why God says – pay attention to it!
We don’t have to be that clever to know what our life will look like in some senses.
We just need to look at the invisible forces we are operating in our lives and then from there it’s not rocket science.
We would do well to ensure we are following God’s plan for these areas if we wish to have His blessing in our lives.
We can want God’s plan, but then it must be actioned by these invisible forces in line with His Word!
Let’s choose today to create and shape great futures for us, our kids, marriages, and generations to come!
The first part however is the need for God’s Spirit in our lives!
We can change every other thing, but without a relationship with Jesus Christ and Him rescuing us from our sin, selfishness and mistakes, unfortunately the changes are simply superficial.
It might be positive thinking or good positive associations and while that is good, it does not and cannot reverse or change the spiritual and eternal part of our lives.
We were created first and foremost to have God as God in our lives and for Him to reorder your life and bring His transforming power into your life!
Suggestions for discussion
- Do you believe that of all the unseen forces (God at work in our situation) have the ability to change everything?
- The things we think on, dwell on and allow to constantly fill our mind, will become our reality! Discuss what impact this can have on your lives.
- Our words are powerful, creative forces that, though invisible, are so real!
- Does this make you reconsider what you are about to say in your conversations with others?
- Discuss how important it is that we build good, godly relationships with people who will direct us to God.